Thursday, April 16, 2009

Mississippi River - Alton Pool (Pool 26)

Adam and I made a quick run on the river tonight. We got on the river around 6:00 or so and ran south to Aiport Lake. We rolled in there and it looked promising. Water temp was between 57° and 58° and really shallow. Majority of the time we were in 2 foot of water. The river is falling with Grafton at 18.36 and Windfield TW at 23.64. Basically, at Riverside it was just inside the bank across from the ramps. So if the water is down, you can't really get in there. But man it looked promising. We threw white and red spinners and then a black with a big carolina blade. Adam threw a black and blue jig and then a small Zera Spook. Nothing. I cannot wait until the first bass I (or anyone with me) catches on the river. Right now I don't think they are in there. At the same time, if we can learn to fish the river, we can fish anywhere. The boat ran great. We found out that when you slow down from 60 to go over a boat wave, you should probably slow way down, not just down to 50. Let me just say that both Adam and I were shaking a bit after we got the boat running flat again. But all-in-all everything keeps right on clicking with the boat. We've got a lot more places to fish. I haven't ruled out Airport Lake. We only fished the upper portion. We did not fish down around the docks where its about 3 to 4 foot of water. Bitch is, how in the hell do those boats get in there when the water is at normal level. We're fishing again Saturday morning, but we're taking Savannah so I doubt we run that far. Keep fishin' keep learnin' that's all we can do.

2 comments:

Cameron Denison said...

Had to comment on this... After writing this post I clicked on the 7/24 Outdoors link to the right and sorted for Mississippi River Alton Pool and found this post which gives me hope. Maybe need to run further south.

Cameron Denison said...

Needless to say, the rain today kept Savannah and I from hitting the river this morning. We did make a trip to Bass Pro so what that teaches us is that it is cheaper to go fishing than to NOT go fishing!