Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mississippi River – Pool 26 (Peruque Creek)

Jeffery and I headed out Tuesday evening to see if we could finally catch a fish on the Mississippi River. Up to this point I had not had much luck heading south (east) out of Riverside Harbor, so we headed north to Peruque Creek. I had been up there one other time and it looks like a place that should hold fish. A front was moving through on Tuesday evening. The weather forecast was for rain late Tuesday evening, but not until after dark, so we were going to miss any heavy stuff. However, the wind was picking up, coming out of the SSE which made the main river just a little choppy. It was quite a boat ride (I don’t know how to go slow). When we got to Peruque the water temp was 66° with a falling barometer. The water was high and falling. At 7:00 Winfield Dam TW was 25.12 and Grafton was at 20.57. We started with spinner baits. I was using a heavier white and red while Jeff stuck to the chartreuse. We thought we were getting small bites, but couldn’t figure out what it was. We switched to small in-line spinner baits (Rooster Tails) and again got small hits. We were watching the Japanese Carp rolling all around us and then we realized that we are probably just snagging up on them. Needless to say, we worked up and down the creek and threw everything at them including spinner baits, in-line spinners, jigs, you name it. We even stopped and bobber fished to see if there were any crappie or bluegill in there. No luck. So at this point the Mississippi River has yet to produce a fish in the Skeeter. We will continue to try. I’ve gotta learn to fish the River. It’s just too close to home to pass up. - cld

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey cameron, my name is kim, been reading your guys blogs now for the past few months. i usually comment on your buddy adams blogs but he hasn't posted in awhile. just read your post on the river fishing and wanted to tell ya, my uncle fishes a bass circuit out of alton and he does pretty good fishing just north of grafton near the brussels ferry. not sure how far of a run that might be for you [don't know much about the river] but i'm pretty sure that 175V-MAX can get you flying any were dam to dam on the river. just thought that might help you. p.s he also says how tough river fishing can be, are how great it can be. he always fishes 10" power worms texas rigged. peace and love!kim.

Cameron Denison said...

Kim, we know that you follow the blog. In fact, I think it's only you that follows. Thanks for that. We love to see your comments.

Yeah, the river is rough to fish. I really want to try the Illinois River. The Brussels Ferry is on the Illinois River and you need an Ill. fishing license, which I have, but my fishing partners do not, so I haven't had a chance to fish up there yet. I've been trying spinners as I have heard they are good, but I'm now hearing that the heavy salted plastics work as well. I'll have to try the 10-inchers texas rigged. One of the reasons I'd like to figure out the River is that I'd like to fish that circuit your Uncle fishes. I believe it's the Bass World Sports circuit. They put in at Hide a Way Harbor and have a tourney each month for 6 moths. At $130 a tourney, I'm going to at least start catching fish before entering.

Thanks for keeping up and the advice. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it works out. - cld

Hog Hunting Texas said...

It is so fun to catch fish from river and its much more fun when that is Mississippi river.